[lug] ps2pdf and correct/nice fonts

Ralf Mattes rm at ns.aura.de
Wed Jan 5 15:52:43 MST 2000

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Wayde Allen wrote:

[...]
> Contact Adobe, they are supposedly rolling out a commercial pdf distiller
> product for Linux.

Yes, they anounced it lately. I installed their beta of FrameMaker
and was impressed both by their fast support (got some bugfixes mailed
within a day even so i run it on Debian which isn't on their list of
supported distributions) and also their licensing-the beta is valid
until December 2000 (this actually saved me from having to buy FM
for Windows (and another box for running Windows on :-))

> Another option I was just playing with yesterday (I've got a LaTeX paper
> that Microwave Journal wants to publish) is to run the LaTeX document
> through the latex2html converter and then import the html document into
> your word processor of choice.

I found that too much structural information gets lost this way.

> Finally you could install ghostscript (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/) on
> the windows PC's.  That should allow them to print the postscript
> document.

For Windows clients i would really go for the RTF output of jade.
Docbook (or better SGML) is wounderfull for multi-target documentation.
If you can live with the docbook DTD (or don't fear writing scheme
code for the stylesheets) this is really the most flexible tool.

 Ralf