[lug] Partial execution of /etc/rc.d/rc.M

Subba Rao subb3 at attglobal.net
Sun Jan 16 04:52:05 MST 2000

On  0, Tkil <tkil at scrye.com> wrote:

> [sent to original poster and to list]
>
> (1) my (RH 6.0+errata) system has no rc.M file.  what distribution are
>     you running?
>
> (2) you can detect "hidden characters" with any competent text editor
>     (i know that emacs/xemacs will display unprintable characters, i
>     presume vi/vim/nvi/etc do the same one way or another).  failing
>     that, i like to use "od -ha" to dump out a hex and ascii
>     representation of a file.
>
> (3) the most likely causes of "only 2/3 of the file being executed",
>     without knowing more about the situation, are:
>
>     a. there is a fatal error in the processing of the script, causing
>        /bin/sh to bail out.  check "dmesg" for error output.
>
>     b. there is a test for something on your system, and that test
>        fails, causing the rest of the file to be ignored.  look for
>        "if ..." conditions that are suspicious, or don't match your
>        configuration.  e.g. you might have a test for SMP-enabled
>        kernel, or sound modules, etc; if that test fails, the rest of
>        the file might be ignored "by design".
>
>        (see this in RH init scripts keyed off values generally set up
>        in /etc/sysconfig scripts, such as NETWORKING and MODULES.)
>
> that's all that comes to mind offhand.  good luck,
> t.

The distro is Slackware 7. Here is my rc.M file. I have trimmed a lot of it except the problem
portion. Everything upto (including) samba starts fine. The rest get executed but give me
error messages. If I do a "ps" command, I do not see gpm. The "rc.local" is a script that
sets some basic ipchain rules and dials my ISP. Instead the "ipchains" script say
"command not found" and there is no dial-up connection to my ISP. I can run the rc.gpm,
rc.sysvinit and rc.local manually and they work like a charm. They are not working from
rc.M

"dmesg" seems to capture only the hardware related startup information. Is there anyway to
capture all the init scripts to syslog?

============================

#!/bin/sh
#
# rc.M		This file is executed by init(8) when the system is being
#		initialized for one of the "multi user" run levels (i.e.
#		levels 1 through 6).  It usually does mounting of file
#		systems et al.
#
# Version:	@(#)/etc/rc.d/rc.M	2.02	02/26/93
#
# Author:	Fred N. van Kempen, <waltje at uwalt.nl.mugnet.org>
#		Heavily modified by Patrick Volkerding <volkerdi at ftp.cdrom.com>
#

# Tell the viewers what's going to happen...
echo "Going multiuser..."

# Screen blanks after 15 minutes idle time.
/bin/setterm -blank 15

# Look for a CD-ROM in a CD-ROM drive, and if one is found,
# mount it under /cdrom.  This must happen before any of the
# binaries on the CD are needed.
#
# If you don't have a CD-ROM and want to disable this, set the
# /etc/rc.d/rc.cdrom permissions to non-executable: chmod 644 /etc/rc.d/rc.cdrom
#
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.cdrom ]; then
  . /etc/rc.d/rc.cdrom
fi

< LOTS OF STUFF DELETED >

# Start Qmail
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.qmail ]; then
  . /etc/rc.d/rc.qmail start
fi

# Start Samba (a file/print server for Win95/NT machines):
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.samba ]; then
  . /etc/rc.d/rc.samba start
fi

# Start GPM mouse server
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm ]; then
  . /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm
fi

# Start System V init scripts for this runlevel
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.sysvinit ]; then
  . /etc/rc.d/rc.sysvinit
fi

# Start the local setup procedure
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.local ]; then
  . /etc/rc.d/rc.local
fi

# All done.

Subba Rao
subb3 at attglobal.net
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com