[lug] Linux Raid Question

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Tue Feb 1 13:37:33 MST 2000

Ed Meyer wrote:

> Because if that's true, that would answer my question about all the drives found in my /dev folder.  The IDE drives on the PCI controller would be hde, hdf, hdg, hdh.  But what I don't understand is why a device would show in my /dev when there isn't even one there.  My current system looks like this...

That's because those nodes are created to deal with those devices, whether they
exist or not.

> ide0 Master = Hard Drive = hda
> ide0 Slave = empty = hdb?
> ide1 Master = empty = hdc?
> ide1 Slave = Cd Rom = hdd? or /dev/cdrom ?

The CD-ROM drive would be /dev/hdd, if it's the slave on a secondary IDE
connection. /dev/cdrom is merely a symbolic link which points to the actual
device which refers to the cdrom (try "ls -l /dev/cdrom") - much as /dev/modem
points to the actual serial port (/dev/ttyS2, for example) which connects to a
modem.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge