[lug] A question!

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Tue Feb 8 10:04:59 MST 2000

> Nawaf Nafisee wrote:
>
> Is DSL faster than Cable modem.  I own a cable modem and i just heard about
> Broadband saying they now give FREE DSL.  They say it is faster because it

The first watchword is, of course, YMMV.

I haven't used DSL, but I have seen download speeds as high as 250 kilobytes
per second (from HP) on my parents' computers, which are all connected via a
Linux-powered gateway to a cable modem (AT&T @Home in Lakewood).

I'm pretty sure that's faster than any existing (and affordable) DSL
connection.

Usually the download speeds are limited by the server at the other end (40-60
kilobytes/second), than by the cable modem itself.

Of course, I make no guarantees that this situation will continue as systems
are added to each network.  But I do know that I'd pay for a cable modem right
now if it was available in my area (southern Adams County).

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot