[lug] Squid config

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Tue Feb 15 17:29:29 MST 2000

>> How does Squid keep track of the files being cached?

It keeps an internal database of files that are on-hand.

>> How do we know if the cached files have changed on the original server?

Squid sends a request for the document (or image) along with the time stamp
for the copy it has on hand (if applicable). If the version that it has is
current, then the HTTP server sends back a 302 code which means document
unchanged. If the document has changed, then the HTTP server sends the new
version.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Voice: 303 438 9585