[lug] Really off topic

Leo Lue lue at boulder.nist.gov
Fri Feb 25 12:09:57 MST 2000

I've also found that the AMD chip runs slower than the Intel chip.

I have been running molecular dynamics simulations at work and at home.
My machine at work is a dual Intel Pentium II 400MHz chip with 256MB
RAM, while my machine at home is a 450MHz AMD-K6 with 125MB RAM.

Both machines are running RedHat6.0, and I have compiled the simulation
code using g77 on both machines (same optimization level).  However, the
code runs about a factor of 3 slower on the AMD machine.

One thing that I have been wondering about is that there is no cache
listing in the /proc/cpuinfo file on the AMD machine, while there is a
listing for the Intel machine.  That makes me think that maybe I'm not
exploiting the cache.

One side question that I have is that the bogomips on the AMD machine is
listed at 900 while for the Intel machine it is only 400.  What does
this imply in terms of computation speed?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Leo