[lug] photo editor

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Mon Mar 6 14:47:00 MST 2000

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Hugh Brown wrote:

> I was hoping that there would be something easier than that.  I am
> putting together a family webpage so I don't have much choice about how
> the photo's were taken.  I just get to doctor them up and put them on
> the page.

Yes, I understand.  I do a lot of copy photo work for my own family
genealogy.

> Are there digital cameras out there that don't have the flash
> on the main axis of the lens?

Depends on how much you want to spend.  If you are talking about consumer
grade equipment the answer is probably none.  Most any camera with a
built-in on camera flash will have this problem.  The thing to look for
would be the ability to turn off the on-camera flash and the ability to
synchronize with an external flash.

> How far off the axis does a flash need to
> be before the reflection off the retina isn't picked up by the camera?

I'd say that probably depends.  My wild guess would be that you'd see a
noticeable reduction if the flash were 4 to 6 inches from the lens axis,
but the further away the better.

We are straying quite a way away from Linux related things here.  If you
want to talk more about photographic technique, I'd suggest that you
consider subscribing to my photographic discussion list at
http://rmp.opusis.com/mailman/listinfo/rmp.  We can talk photography on
the RMP list to your hearts content.  There are also several professional
photographers over there that could give you some good information.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)