[lug] ext2 corruption

llornkcor at llornkcor.com llornkcor at llornkcor.com
Tue Apr 18 08:25:44 MDT 2000

> The only time I've had corruption with ext2 was when I was building gcc on
> jazz drives (before there where alpha arch packages). Nice way to grind them
> into magnetic dust.
>
> badblocks was able to identify what needed to be marked as bad by fsck.ext2.
> I'd have to do that once every 4 compiles or so. After 2 weeks the drive
> would be shipped back to iomega in trade for the next victum.
>
> Have you tried running badblocks on it?

Not per se. I did have to fsck it, extensively. And when I reformatted, I scanned
for badbloacks. I was thinking about it lastnight, and thought it also might be heat,
I noticed that a few drives were fairly warm. ( a couple including notoriously warm
SCSI) Logic being that the top platter  ( which may or maynot include hdc1) being the
warmest, and corrupting data.  I might have to aim an extra fan directly at that HDD
stack. I dunno. I don't know why case makers don't add space for inbetween the
drives. Its a huge disk 17 Gigs, and 4 partitions.

Geez, I remember not so long ago, when 40 Meg HDD were standard. I even have
an old 20 MB HDD. :o)

Thanks-
LP

--