[lug] Linux Virus Firewall

Chris M chrism at peakpeak.com
Fri Jun 23 15:42:10 MDT 2000

>> The best place to detect malicious code is the machine that's
>> about to execute it. I've seen pretty good sandbox systems
>> running under WinOS for a decent price.
>
> Yep, and in an ideal world I wouldn't have any Outlook in my environment.
> The key thing is that even with updated Antivirus stuff, users will open
> attachments.  Even when they know better.

People will smoke, drink too much, and try to win Darwin awards too.  None
of these behaviors are healthy or good for their long term computing future.
You can't do much about *them* either.

What's your point? :)  You can't protect idiots from themselves.  All
security is simply a tradeoff against convenience.  Screen as much as you
can and make sure that repeat offenders get free publicity to an
authoritative figure.

> No matter how hard you educate users, it just doesn't take sometimes.
> Using a cattle prod is probably not acceptable either.

Turn off scripting.  Remotely administer anti-virus software (don't rely on
users). Install Macs.

Have you looked at the supposed patch for Outlook?

Chris