[lug] irq conflict

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Wed Jul 5 10:04:00 MDT 2000

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Jeff Howell wrote:

> Arlan Ramsay wrote:
> >
> > Right now, I have a conflict between a network card and a scsi controller.
> > I used to fix such things by using jumpers (remember?) or DOS installation
> > software.  Is there some way to do this using just linux?  I thought maybe
> > ifconfig.  How?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Arlan Ramsay
> > Department of Mathematics
> > CB 395
> > University of Colorado, Boulder
> > Telephone 303-492-7148
> > Fax 303-492-7707
> > ramsay at euclid.colorado.edu
> >

> A bit of information about the cards would be helpfull. But in a general sense,
> you may be able to assign IRQ's to the devices in the computer's BIOS setup.
> Also many SCSI adapters have a bios where the IRQ can be defined as well. You
> may see a message similar to: "Press Ctrl-A for setup" when the card is
> initializing on bootup.

Yes, the IRQ settings of the SCSI adapter are usually set in the SCSI
BIOS.

The IRQ of the network card can usually be adjusted by providing the
appropriate option argument to the kernel module.  On my Debian system the
appropriate location for setting these options is the /etc/modules file.
An entry in this file reads something like "3c509 irq=11".  The somewhat
tricky part is finding information about the driver module options that
can be set.  You probably want to take a look at
<http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/>.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)