[lug] Thanks, and more newbie requests

Mike McCallister mmccallister at reporters.net
Sat Jul 8 10:22:58 MDT 2000

Folks,

Thanks for your help in getting my dual-boot system up and running. I now
have my second partition automounted and it's doing its job. I also gave up
on getting the PCI internal modem to work, and went over to CompUSA and
bought another USRobotics external 56K which Corel recognized instantly.

Realizing that this can be a matter of personal preference, are there any
good GUI/KDE-based mail clients and/or offline news readers? I have to
admit being spoiled by Eudora and Free Agent in Windows, but there must be
something good out there for X.

The key features I'm looking for in a mail client are the ability to file
mail in folders (preferably using filters), and send mail using multiple
addresses. I trust that once I've POPped mail from the server, I can always
read it offline, but if there are some clients that don't do that, I'm not
interested. I hate tying up the phone line unnecessarily.

For news, I'd just like to have the ability to download headers and read
articles offline, and set purge requirements for individual newsgroups. I
haven't found anything in my initial searches that will do that.

Any help in this regard is much appreciated!

Mike

Mike McCallister		"The fundamental obligation of a revolutionary
Boulder, CO			is to tell the truth;
workingwriter at email.com	the other is to always carry a pen."