[lug] mail servers

andrew at netdelivery.com andrew at netdelivery.com
Wed Jul 19 09:15:06 MDT 2000

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 05:06:27PM +0200, rm at mamma.varadinet.de wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 08:59:24AM -0600, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 07:43:00AM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:
> > >How is the performance?
> >
> > Postfix has a similar performance profile to qmail.  The benchmarking I did
> > about a year ago suggests that postfix may even be faster than QMail at
> > sending out mail to a ton of recipients (400,000 unique messages).  The
> > reason we didn't end up using Postfix was that at that time it didn't
> > implement bounce handling as we expected.
>
> Ah, one thing that needs to be mentioned:
> AFAIK Postfix doesn't handle ESMTP ETRN commands.
>
>  Ralf

It should do ETRN now.  from http://www.dynamite.org/postfix/rate.html:
Always postponing delivery

The defer_transports parameter allows you to specify what mail should always be deferred until Postfix is explicitly asked to deliver.

A small site that is on-line only part of the time, and that wants to defer all deliveries until the command sendmail -q is executed (e.g., from a PPP dialout script) would use:

defer_transports = smtp

An ISP can use the defer_transports feature for customers that are off-line most of the time. The customer can trigger delivery by issuing an ETRN command at the SMTP port. The following examples show how to configure such a customer:

/etc/postfix/main.cf:

defer_transports = hold

You can specify any number of transports here. The example gives just one.

--
Andrew