[lug] Lock up?

Brian Jarrett BrianJ at StorageSoft.com
Fri Jul 21 07:22:03 MDT 2000

I would think the most likely problem is that your processor locked up.
This would mean that there would be no way for the OS to log anything or
give any indication that something was wrong.  As suggested by Hugh, you
could have Power Supply or overheating problems (even though the fan was
running) if you can't find anything to indicate what happened.  Other less
probable causes could be faulty power circuitry or something else on the
motherboard itself.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin [mailto:glowecon at netscape.net]
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2000 2:15 AM
To: BLUG
Subject: [lug] Lock up?

One of my redhat 6.1 boxes just locked up a bit ago for apparently no
reason.
It completely froze, I couldn't ssh into it or ping it or anything. My
windowmaker desktop was frozen with one Eterm (running tail -f) and one
xterm
(running sniffit -i) and the normal dock apps I use. I don't know the exact
time it locked because I wasn't using it. I checked to make sure the cpu fan
was still working in case it was a cause of overheating, that was ok. I
checked for core files after the reboot and checked the log files but found
nothing. Is there anything else I can look for after the fact? It's odd
because the box had an uptime of 48 days before this lockup. Any ideas?

Justin