[lug] Authentication with Samba

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Fri Jul 21 14:41:02 MDT 2000

Aaron Root wrote:

> ... I have the .bat file with the net
> use h: \\server\user and it does run when she logs in but it doesn't map
> the drive.  It gives an "Error 67: The specified shared directory cannot
> be found.  Make sure you have specified the network name correcty....."
> yet when I type the same exact net use line in at a dos prompt, it maps
> the drive just fine.

Aaron,

I spoke with our Windows admin about this and he thought that there
were timing issues involved with what you're trying to do.  He threw
a lot of information at me and I'm afraid I didn't absorb very much
of it.  He thought that putting the Linux (Samba) host information in
c:\windows\lmhosts could solve the problem but thought that you should
be sure to include the #PRE directive and possibly #DOM.  The #PRE
directive preloads the lanman host information into cache or some such
thing.  There should be examples of how to do this in the sample file
c:\windows\lmhosts.sam.

An alternative to using a bat file to map this file would be login in
on your wifes machine and instead of using net use to map the drive,
simply type the shares UNC, i.e., \\server\share or find the share in
network neighborhood.  Then once you've connected to the share, right
click on the upper left window icon and select map network drive.  A
pop up window will allow you to map to your preferred drive letter and
will also contain a small select box (reconnect at login?).  Make sure
you've selected this option and your wife's machine should then attempt
to map that drive letter to your samba share every time she logs in.
Is the bat file really necessary?

Another option that could solve your problem is to set your Samba
server up as a WINS server and configure the Windows box accordingly.

Hope this helps.  Please let me know what if anything works out for
you.

Regards,

Lynn Danielson