[lug] Clock Skew

John Starkey jstarkey at ajstarkey.com
Thu Aug 10 20:30:38 MDT 2000

Ralph thanks for replying. I still have your message concering the JAVA
but I haven't been able to get back to that level. Sorry for the delay.

I think you pinpointed the problem. Here's what happened in detail.

1) I started building a new ruleset for my firewall based on the ipmasq
howto. And as usual I digressed. What I was doing originally was to fix my
routing problem. Anyway, something I did lost my mods for eth0 and eth1.

2) I decided as my original message states that I'm tired of not knowing
the "innards" (to steal a slang from MD). So I went the Kernel compile
HOWTO. I did all the makes and a bzdisk. I got a little confused at that
point whether it was booting off the floppy. ( I did here the floppy
moving on boot, but hmmmm, I'm dumb :})

3) On a reboot I went into CMOS and checked to see what it has (new
machine). The clock was ahead by _only two hours_. Now I'm not sure since
I booted via disk image whether the mod dates had been changed.

How often are they (the mod dates) changed (only on reboot, on an actual
root user modification of those files, or just on re-compiles?

And is it only the kernel files?

I think this is why. I did the

find . | args touch

no should I recompile or should I leave it for now and only do a make
clean?

As a side-question/note. My eth0 is constantly blinking on the hub light.
Just before I noticed it I tried a ping to a name to check DNS. I wonder
if the ping is looping somehow (dumb question?? TTL doesn't change on hubs
right??).

Thanks,

John
"the-guy-ain't-touchin-nothin-til-I-hear-from-someone-cuz-you-gus-have-got-to-be-tired-of-bailin-me-out"
Starkey :}