[lug] Tape Drive Recommendation...

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Thu Aug 17 18:34:47 MDT 2000

	I remember that someone at the last meeting was interested in
recommendations for backup tape drives. I would first recommend looking in
the archives for this list as this subject has been discussed before.
Secondly, I would highly recommend the Ecrix VXA-1 tape drive. It can
holds lots of data, is fast, quiet, reliable, and best of all it works
fine with Linux (personally tested on Intel and Alpha platforms).
	Even better, Ecrix currently has a try-before-you-buy deal going
on them, such that if you you buy the drive, you save $500 (nearly 50%
off). That puts the price of the drive at just over $500 (for the internal
version). That might sound overkill for a home setup, but given the
current size of hard drives and the quality of most "home user level tape
drives" that I have had the unlucky fortune to deal with, the VXA drive is
worth every cent even for that home setup.
	Ok, I will get off my soap box now. And no, I don't work for Ecrix
in any way, just a happy customer. More information about their evaluation
program is attached below.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |