[lug] X?

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Wed Aug 23 01:07:57 MDT 2000

I recently got another debian install set up, and when i try to run X, I
get the gray screen with the X pointer, then it blows up:

> Error:            Cannot open "compiled/server-0.xkm" to write keyboard
description
>                   Exiting
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

and I'm back to where I started.

has anyone else seen this, and if so, PLEASE tell me how to fix it,
because I am about ready to just give up on this particular installation.

Kernel is 2.2.17 with USB backport. Similar problem with 2.4.0.

-Ian (who has NEVER seen X work right with debian)

--
<cosmo> wow, this is kinda nifty. the win98 protocol stack is
like a chinese finger puzzle, twist and turn in the right places,