[lug] DNS and a thanks for the DSL info.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Aug 27 16:17:40 MDT 2000

On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 03:05:36PM -0400, John Starkey wrote:
>How does this work?? The "fake" domain is the server for you DNS? So
>tummy actually refers to a block and yu are the SOA for that block
>(according to their records)?

Well, they would set up the records as I listed in my previous
message, so that 2.150.17.216.in-addr.arpa referred to
2.tummy.150.17.216.in-addr.arpa.  Then on the ISP side you
simply add the following to your named.conf:

	zone "tummy.150.17.216.in-addr.arpa" {
		type slave;
		file "db.216.17.150.tummy";
		masters { 216.17.150.33; };
		}

So, you set up your own server to pull the records from the client's
server(s), and the rest of it falls into place.

Sean
--
 I have a large collection of sea shells, which I keep scattered on beaches
 around the world.  Maybe you've seen it...  -- Steven Wright