[lug] MySQL debugging

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Sep 1 20:33:01 MDT 2000

I managed to get MySQL installed, along with the python module. This is
on a RH 6.2 box, SMP, with 2.2.15 kernel. mysqld --version gives:
mysqld  Ver 3.22.32 for pc-linux-gnu on i686

I did run the script mysql_install_db, which appears to have been
successful. Running "mysqladmin version" gives:
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (111)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock'
exists!

The file /tmp/mysql.sock does NOT exist.

Checking /var/log/messages shows nothing related to network rejection.
Looking at ps, I see it apparently running. Going to /etc/rc.d/init.d/
and running "./mysql stop" and "./mysql start" shows success as well.
Even though I start it and get a message that it succeeded,
/tmp/mysql.sock never appears.

If I try to just run "mysqld" directly after attempting start, it says
the port is already in use. If I then stop via the init.d script, I can
run mysqld directly, it then says it is ready for connections. Still,
the /tmp/mysql.sock does not show up. However, there are these /tmp/
files:
mysqlbug-27370, and mysqldb-root. Running "mysqladmin version" still
fails in the same manner.

Something somewhere is either in conflict, or not set up correctly. Does
anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks,
D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com