[lug] dump, cp

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Sep 5 20:00:51 MDT 2000

I'm now playing with a blank hard drive for temporary backup of an
entire 30 Gb partition. I'm able to dump from all of "/" (sda1) to
/dev/sdc5 (a matching size partition) to what I had initially formatted
as ext2, via this:
dump -0ua -f /dev/sdc5 /

However, this apparently does a raw output format, and is no longer
mountable as ext2. One thing I don't care for is that I can't simply
mount it and browse files.

When I use cp, I tried mounting the backup ext2 partition to /mnt/sdc/5,
followed by this (the -x is "don't cross filesystems"):
cp -dpRx / /mnt/sdc/5/

This would work, except that it does cross into /proc/, and then dies.
Does anyone know a way to make cp ignore /proc/ when using cp? Or maybe
there is simply some good software that would make all of this trivial?
Until I get a real tape drive, what would be the best means of backup
software?

Thanks,
D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com