[lug] ACROBAT and LIBSAFE

JEFF PFOHL pfohl at sandia.gov
Fri Sep 22 15:28:24 MDT 2000

OK I figured out why I was getting segmentation faults but don't
really have a full handle on the details. Maybe someone else more
familiar with buffer overflows can educate me.

I looked at the two programs I've installed since I last knew Acrobat
to work. Libsafe and portsentry.

I turned OFF libsafe thinking that MAYBE Acrobat was writing past the
end of some buffer. Acrobat worked!!

OK this SHOULD have shown up, according to the libsafe man page, in
/var/log/secure

However I read and grepped through them for acrobat and dind't find
anything. I also checked the times and didn't find an entry when
acrobat crashed (i ran it one time today with the segmentation fault
and there were no entries for today)

Now to determine if there is a way to tell Libsafe to NOT monitor
Acrobat.

For now Libsafe will remain OFF.

Thanks to everyone who emailed offering help and advice.

--
				JEFF PFOHL
			 	E-MAIL: pfohl at sandia.gov
				PHONE : (505) 844-7033  work
					(505) 299-9516  home
        				(505) 844-6729  fax
				http://nucalf.physics.fsu.edu/pfohl

"My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people:
 Those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to
 try to be in the first group; there was much less competition."

 - Indira Ghandi, the late Prime Minister of India