[lug] Noisy drives; was: Data integrity problems on new machine

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Sep 28 15:36:33 MDT 2000

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 03:31:13PM -0600, Walter Pienciak wrote:
>on the market that was meant to deal with sound.  Anyone ever come
>across something like this?  Since a fair amount of the noise is

Anyone remember those old dot-matrix printer enclosures?  Big enough to put
a baby in, yet they have a fan so the baby doesn't suffocate...  Sound
insulated for teething.  Try getting some of those second-hand and putting
the loudest equipment in there.

Otherwise I'd recommend you switch to liquid cooled.  It's kind of interesting
after having worked on midrange computers for a long time to go into the
mainframe room of the data center.  It's quiet...  TOO quiet.

Sean
--
 Linux:  Bring back that "greased weasel" feeling.
                 -- Sean Reifschneider, 1998