[lug] Noisy drives; was: Data integrity problems on new machine

Archer Sully archer at meer.net
Thu Sep 28 16:02:15 MDT 2000

Walter Pienciak wrote:

> And morphing the thread slightly from loud hard drives to loud
> *systems* . . .
>
> I also have my hardware in the basement.  Unfortunately, that's
> also where I work.
>
> I've toyed with idea of enclosures, but never really saw anything
> on the market that was meant to deal with sound.

Sean recommended old printer enclosures.  Another thing would be
to make your own boxes from plywood and insulation, with vents
and fans.  Something like that could help a lot.

What I've done is to put a KVM switch in the basement, and run
one set of wires (well, a couple extra CAT5 to accommodate
an extra hub and the DSL router) up to my upstairs office
in what used to be the master bedroom (hey, we have our priorities
around here!).  The only issue is that if I have to hit a reset
switch, its a walk downstairs (1.5 stories).  Speaking of
which, does anyone know what keycode "Stop-A" generates on a
Sun?

-- archer