[lug] linux, my observations

llornkcor llornkcor at llornkcor.com
Wed Oct 18 07:24:24 MDT 2000

Not that I needed to be convinced of linux' superiority over
Windows. I have been setting up a firewall, with 2 NIC's,
booting linux/windows. Windows, because the CD's that came with
the Cisco router has only Windows, and Mac applications on it.
and since I haven't used a Mac since high school...

Setting up linux was fairly usual, except that the NIC drivers
were in source form, located on the manufacturers disk!! (yeah
Intel, yeah Linksys). Unusual, because I am used to having to
scrounge the web, looking to see if someone, somewhere, maybe has
written a driver thats similiar enough that it might just work.
Compiled the drivers, set them up, no real problems at all.
budda-bing, budda-boong...

Windows (98), on the other hand, doesn't like two NIC's living on
the same motherboard, apparently. And for some odd reason, applies
the wrong IRQ to the second NIC. (the Intel here)( and
actually, changes BOTH NIC's IRQ's from what the BIOS sets it
as).
Tried every little trick I know so I could to get both NIC's
installed. But, eventually, gave up, and decided to scrap that
partition, and install a minimal linux capable and set up for
networking, as a back up, in case the firewall gets compromised.

Thing about windows is, you can't tell it what it needs to know.
Try to change the IRQ's to what I know works, and up pops up a
dialog.. "these settings cannot be changed".. ya, right.

Linux 1
Windows 0

LP