[lug] Web archiving email

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Thu Oct 26 14:05:07 MDT 2000

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Keith Herold wrote:

> internal web site.  Pipermail was suggested to me, but I cannot find the
> details.

I believe I've read that Pipermail is no longer being supported.  However,
it is the base archiver for mailman so ...?

> What software is ot there that doesn't depend on access to a campus mail
> server (i.e. are there ones where I can create a user
> ("mail_list at colorado.edu"), subscribe it to the list, and then have all
> messages sent to it archived?  Is there an easier way?)

It depends on what your idea of an archive actually is?  If you want to
take a mail file and convert it to a threaded web list Mhonarc
<http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/mhonarc.doc.html> seems to work pretty
well.  If you want to make it search-able I'd consider adding
<http://www.htdig.org/> to the mix.  You could create an account on one of
your machines and subscribe this virtual user to a list.  A cron job could
then routinely run Mhonarc and Htdig and you'd be done.  Another method
would be to set up a mail filter in your personal account that sorts the
messages to archive into a special bin that your cron job would then
operate on.

Then you could ...

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)