[lug] cisco 675/ppp question

Atkinson, Chip CAtkinson at Circadence.com
Wed Nov 15 08:55:32 MST 2000

The 675 gets the static IP on the wan0 end.  The other ends get the 10.0.0.x
addresses.  One thing you don't distinguish is whether it's using the dhcp
client or dhcp server.  If the client is being used, then it's on the wan0
end, and if it's the server, it's serving 10.0.0.x clients.  You don't need
the dhcp server really.  You can just assign 10.0.0.1 to the eth0 port and
then 10.0.0.x to your machines.  This will make your life easier because you
don't have to worry about dhcp on the linux end which is kind of a pain.

Your computers only deal with the cisco's eth0 end and only know enough to
send packets to it to get out to the rest of the world.  I believe that your
netmask for the computers is 255.255.255.0, despite the class A IP of
10.0.0.x.  You can query this stuff by telnetting into the cisco.

Chip