[lug] Satellite ISP

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Nov 26 18:53:57 MST 2000

On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 09:45:03AM +0000, Subba Rao wrote:
>If anyone is using this service, I would like to know if Linux can be used
>with the two-way access. Also, I would like to know the performance you are
>experiencing.

DirectPC, last I knew, was only one-way service -- your packets go out your
regular dial-up Internet services, and come back via sattelite.  I tried it
at some trade show, and performance for large downloads was good, but for
interactive stuff it's going to suck.  Light only travels so fast.  Want to
do interactive games?  Figure on being about a second behind everyone else...

We geeked up with one of the guys at the Radio Shack in Steamboat this
weekend.  Turns out that apparently their Dish Network two-way service.
It comes with three interfaces: USB, dual ethernet (one ethernet for
incoming traffic, one for outgoing) and single ethernet.  Apparently,
only the stores have the "regular ethernet" connection, everyone
else has to work with one of these funky interfaces that are less
likely to work with Linux.  The stores dishes are also the big ones,
not the small ones they're selling.

Ping times were just a hair under a second.

Sean
--
 If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong.
                 -- Norm Schryer