[lug] Key gen and BSD

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Fri Jan 5 22:34:16 MST 2001

Hello again.

I'm working with someone who's on BSD. They've been telling me they
don't know anything about ssh. I just checked and it's installed. I have
ssh on my server but have only set it up once. I don't wanna screw around
with their machine as much as i would mine.

Their server is running BSD and sshd is available in /usr/local/sbin.
There are roughly 20 domains on this machine. Only one of them belongs to
my employer. sshd is owned by root so I can't execute it. But I can
generate a key. ps ax only returns our processes. I can't ssh in, returns
"protocol version not supported". The last time I saw this it was because
sshd couldn't create a .ssh dir. Anyone know if there's anything I can
do short of contacting a tech?

They've insisted that I telnet in, I'd prefer not to for obvious reasons.

Thanks,

John