[lug] install linux on ibm laptop

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jan 8 16:36:24 MST 2001

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 02:07:37PM -0700, Bonnell, Doug wrote:
>I've pulled the hard drive from the laptop and installed it into a desktop
>with
>a 3.5 inch to 2.5 inch adaptor. Then you just use the desktop's ability to
>boot from CDROM and install RedHat as usual.

Having replaced the hard drive on a TP560, I can recommend NOT doing this.
Unlike the TP240 which requires 2 screws to be removed to take the hard drive
out of the laptop, the 560 needs something like 10 to 15 and a lot more
cursing...

If you have a network to install from, boot with the net boot floppy and
install from a remote server.  That's how I do my laptop installs.

Sean
--
 Thieves broke into Scotland Yard yesterday and stole all the toilets.
 Detectives say they have nothing to go on.