[lug] [rmiug-discuss] Winter Retreat - Design Patterns & Extreme Programming (fwd)

J. Wayde Allen wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov
Tue Jan 16 15:55:32 MST 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:06:54 -0700
From: Jay Zimmerman <jzimmerman at completeprogrammer.net>
To: rmiug-discuss at rmiug.org
Cc: rmiug-annouce at rmiug.org
Subject: [rmiug-discuss] Winter Retreat - Design Patterns & Extreme
    Programming

Greetings!

We at the Denver Object Oriented Group (DOUG for short) in cooperation with XPDenver (www.xpdenver.org) are pleased to sponsor the 1st annual IT Winter Retreat at Copper Mountain on March 17th & 18th 2001.  Here is your chance to finally get up to the mountains for skiing or snowboarding and be a part of two interesting seminars.  On the 17th of March , we will have a presentation on the "Principles and Strategies of Design Patterns from 3:30 PM to 7:30 PM.  On the 18th, we will have a presentation on Extreme Programming entitled "Extreme programming Refined" from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM.  Both of these presentations will be given by Alan Shalloway of Net Objectives.  Below, you will find the abstracts for both presentations and a bio on the presenter for your perusal.

Registration Information:

Early-bird discounted rate is  applicable through January 29th.  If you attend both seminars the cost is $ 129 which also includes dinner on Saturday and breakfast on the 18th.  If you would like to attend just one seminar the cost is $79.

After January 29th, the registration fee is $169 per person for both seminars or $ 99 for one seminar.

The maximum number of attendees is 50; so if you are interested do not delay.  Send me an email and I will forward you the registration packet.

Accommodation and lift tickets for those who wish to ski/snowboard are available thru Copper Mountain central reservation number.  I will provide you with contact information to reserve accommodations and secure lift tickets for Saturday night.

Session 1: March 17th @ 3:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Speaker: Alan Shalloway, Net Objectives

Title of session: Principles and Strategies of Design Patterns

Session Length: 4 hours

Abstract: The usefulness of design patterns has been demonstrated. Unfortunately, many developers have been frustrated in getting started with them, being unclear both how and where to use them. This seminar starts by introducing design patterns and creating an extended view of object-oriented design. It then introduces participants to design patterns and shows how they can be used in both design and analysis. It continues by introducing 4 more patterns that work together solving a real-world problem and contrasts the design pattern based solution to one using more traditional methods. The intent is to show how patterns can shift our level of thinking - resulting in designs that are more flexible and maintainable than traditional methods. Patterns thus shift from just being mere building blocks to providing insights into how we can better view our problem domain and create more flexible designs.

Session 2: March 18th @ 10:00 - 2:00 PM

Speaker: Alan Shalloway, Net Objectives
Title of session : Extreme Programming Refined

Session Length: 4 hours

Abstract

The Extreme Programming (XP) methodology has grown out of an awareness that our common software development practices lead to poor results too often. It focuses on fundamental truths that are often ignored:

  a.. Feedback is good
  b.. Testing is good
  c.. Teamwork is good
  d.. Honesty is good
  e.. You can't demand set results in a set time with a set resource and really expect to get what you asked for (not to say this isn't done more often than not)
It takes a different path than the two most common approaches:

    1.. Do a tremendous amount of analysis and design prior to coding to eliminate unknowns (affectionately known as "paralysis by analysis")
    2.. Just jump into coding since the analysis and design we do doesn't do much good anyway (sometimes known as "hacking")
XP, while taking an extreme approach to following its own tenants, results in moderation between these two most commonly followed "methodologies".

This talk introduces the attendees to XP. It also discusses some common challenges that arise when XP is introduced into software projects. Certain refinements (or variations in traditional XP that assist in its adoption) are presented.

Bio: Alan Shalloway is both the founder of and principal consultant with Net Objectives. He has been both an object-oriented consultant, trainer, mentor and developer of software in several industries including web-development. Past and current clients include Boeing, IBM, Microsoft, PWC, Qwest and Visio. His book: Principles and Strategies of Design Patterns by Addison Wesley in late spring 2001. Alan has a Masters in Computer Science from MIT.

Thanks,

Jay Zimmerman
DOUG Coordinator
The Complete Programmer Network