[lug] KRUD problem

G R sparling at rtt.colorado.edu
Fri Jan 19 14:17:15 MST 2001

> GR> Hello Group,
> GR>  and a thank You before hand for the answers i will get!
>
> humm...
>
> let me recap and make sure I understand the situation:
>
> You are doing an upgrade on a RH5.0 machine
 yes
> You are using the cd install (which worked with 5.0)
 yes
> You get past the first few things and then when it tries to load the
> second stage installer it just stops.
yes

> GR> During a console mode install, aren't there other virtual consoles
> GR> available that may give you things like messages and perhaps even
> GR> a shell?  alt-F2, alt-F3?
>
> GR> Thank you for that and it said:
>
> GR> error in exec of second stage loader :-(
> GR> error: no such file or directory.
> GR> no wonder the process stops.
>
> Yeah, that is really not good. It should be loading the second stage
> installer from the cd. 7.0 also does a trick to make things faster (it
> copies the second stage to the disk so it will go faster).
>
> Can you try again and look above those messages and copy down the ones
> you see? That might give a clue to the problem...

		okay here it is:
Welcome to red hat install (first stsage, version 1.2 built Dec 8
1997 16:37:59)
45 keymaps are available
using keymap us
loaded 10 keymap tables
using device hdc
uncompressing module for installation
running: /bin/insmode /bin/insmod /tmp/isofs.o
mounting hdc on  /tmp/rhimage as type iso9660
creating directory /tmp/rhimage rc = 0
calling mount (/tmp/hdc, /tmp/rhimage, iso9660, -1058209791, (nil))
removing device file /tmp/hdc
method selection completed
state saved to /tmp
error in exec of second stage loader :-(
                        error: no such file or directory

> I assume the 5.0 install is on a IDE drive? Anything else on there?
> windows?
yes, windoze me

> Do you have any swap space enabled?
yes, 126MB
> Also, what are the other stats on the machine?
Processor?   333 pentium
 memory?    64MB
> video? matrox millinium II
i am running at 1024 x 768. that all works okay.

> GR> Ken, Chip, Sean, SSG
>
> GR> the text mode install is not possible to use. i found how to
> GR> initiate that from the floppy (that is the boot i have to use to
> GR> have the upgrade choice) but my screen said it was not found on
> GR> the floppy. what does that do?
>
> humm...why is the text mode not possible to use?
> When you first boot from the cd, you should see a menu that explains
> about text mode, and expert mode, and rescue mode, etc... You should
> be able to type 'text' from there and go to the text mode
> installer....
there is main, general, expert, and rescue, kickstart, kernal mode
but not text. i typed the command to load text from the floppy
because that is where i booted from. i hit enter for boot (without
typing text [error reference above]) and the screen process is:
monitir (yes, color), welcome, keyboard (us) (then loading choices),
cdrom, nfs image, hard drive (i tried that too on native linux hda5
and the screen says: Device hda5 does not appear to contain a
Red Hat installation tree.i had copied from the KRUD cd to hda1
the RH 7.0 files containing rpm etc.) i chose hda1 (windoze me
drive) and the right location so i don't understand the msg), then
the screen says insert cd, initializing. but it has stopped and you
see why in the indented "okay here it is:" segment above.

> which boot floppy are you using? the boot.img from images/boot.img on
> the first cd?
i believe so. from the bulid date above i may have copied the boot
image from the RH 5.0 disk. they are the same size 1.40 MB
(1,474,560 bytes). i had some trouble with the copying (my floppies
are only 1.38MB (1,457,664 bytes): my screen said 'no enough
space at the target floppy) so i actually do not remember how i
made the copy process work 8 nights ago. how does one get a
boot floppy made in this type of situation?