[lug] suse and sshd

Ferdinand P. Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Thu Jan 25 11:02:44 MST 2001

All change is difficult - and so is trying a different distro.  I am using SUSE
7.0 and am trying to install (rebuild) the latest openssh srpm from
openssh.com.  I would have gone for a simpler one but couldn't find it on suse's
site.  Frankly I can't find anything useful on their ftp site.  7.0 ships with
rpm 3.4.x and can't handle 3.5.x packages, which are very common these days.  I
ended up using an rpm upgrade for RH 6.2 to get over that hurdle because SUSE's
update directory for rpms didn't have anything past 3.4.
I also don't understand their directory structure for rpms on the cd.  And I
can't find an online image of the contents of any of their disks beyond disk1.
I am sure most of my problems come from the fact that I hadn't used anything
than RH for the past 3 years and a I never used SUSE.  But they don't seem to
make it easy to find their rpms - I couldn't find any useful suse rpm on
rpmfind.net.  At this point I haven't given up and I am willing to learn.

Thanks for your help!
Ferdinand