[lug] wireless lan problems

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Feb 8 14:06:04 MST 2001

>>>>> "Ferdinand" == Ferdinand Schmid <fschmid at archenergy.com> writes:

Ferdinand> Excellent guess!  Yes, this card uses the PrismII chipset
Ferdinand> according to my research.  I just downloaded the latest
Ferdinand> pcmcia_cs package.  Based on the HOWTO I get the feeling
Ferdinand> that my 2.4.1 kernel should already include the essentials
Ferdinand> of this package.  FYI - this is a RH 6.2 system.

the wvlan_cs driver is not merged into the 2.4.x kernel yet. (looks
like they are starting to merge some of the missing drivers in alan
cox'es ac series for 2.4.2).

What you have to do is this:

unpack and compile the pcmcia-cs package (newest one).
Then, cd into the 'wireless' subdirectory, and do a 'make wvlan_cs.o'
cp that .o file over to your /lib/modules/2.4.1/pcmcia/wvlan_cs.o

Should work then. ;)

The problem is that if you are running a 2.4.x kernel, the pcmcia-cs
makefiles assume all the drivers are built in and only installs the
user space tools (cardmgr, etc). For many of them this is true, but
just not for the wvlan_cs... ;)

kevin
--
Kevin Fenzi