[lug] off topic, web design

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Feb 8 14:30:21 MST 2001

I'm trying to use a CSS to control some web site attributes, and came
across one item I can't find any information on, maybe someone that uses
CSS for web devel could answer this.

I'm trying to control the colors of anchors, "<A href=....>" items.
Normally the body tag would contain a link="color" and vlink="color",
but link and vlink seem to be ignored when placed in:
BODY {
   link: somecolor;
   vlink: somecolor;
}

(I tried a few variations in BODY {} and also A {}, none mattered).

One reference indicates that body link and vlink are deprecated
features, but still available in transitional html. Maybe this is why it
fails. I can specify a color in A {} that does not understand the
concept of visited or unvisited links, and forces this color at all
times:
A {
   color: somecolor;
}

But this isn't what I want. What is the CSS means to control visited
link colors versus unvisted link colors? Since strict html seems to be
dropping the link and vlink attributes of BODY tags, does anyone know
what the replacement is?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com