[lug] [OT] Solaris device names

Gary Masters gmasters at dotsplat.org
Wed Feb 14 19:56:18 MST 2001

On Wed Feb 14, 2001 at 06:43:23 -0700, John Starkey wrote:
> > What kind of a card is it???
>
> Right now I have a D-Link 530TX 10/100 in there. I believe it's a Tulip.
>
> > le0 = 10mb

Although /dev/le0 on a Sun will be a 10 Mbps interface, le0
means the first Ethernet interface based on the Lance chipset.

I can't remember what the 'hm' in hme stands for, but these
are 10/100 interfaces of a specific type.

Each type of hardware has a different driver name (contrary
to Linux where each Ethernet interface is ethX, or HP-UX where
they're all lanX).

I don't know if the DFE530TX is supported.  Take a look at the
drivers listed at...

http://docs.sun.com:80/ab2/coll.40.5/REFMAN7/@Ab2PageView/15446?DwebQuery=x86+OR+ethernet&oqt=x86+ethernet&Ab2Lang=C&Ab2Enc=iso-8859-1

...and see if any seem likely.  You could also do a sys-unconfig
and see if you have better luck.

> Then this should be le0?

Only if it's Lance hardware, which your D-Link card is not.

--
  Gary Masters
  KCØHQW
  gmasters at dotsplat.org