[lug] WINS

Installer jkarns at csd.net
Wed Feb 21 05:11:47 MST 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Jeff Morton uttered:

>My company uses DHCP to assign IP addresses to all
>machines. While my machine does get an IP address, my
>machines host name is unknown to other machines.  I
>suspect this happens because we use WINS to update
>DNS.
>I am not running SMB server at this time.
>

>Has anyone else seen this problem?  Do I need to
>install SMB server?

SMB server doesn't assign host names either.  It simply uses the
Windows-specified client machine name to allow disk shares.

This would have to be done via DHCP.  From the dhcpd.conf man page:

       If  the  use-host-decl-names  parameter is true in a given
       scope, then for every host declaration within that  scope,
       the  name  provided  for the host declaration will be sup
       plied to the client as its hostname.   So, for example,

           group {
             use-host-decl-names on;

             host joe {
            hardware ethernet 08:00:2b:4c:29:32;
            fixed-address joe.fugue.com;
             }
           }

       is equivalent to

             host joe {
            hardware ethernet 08:00:2b:4c:29:32;
            fixed-address joe.fugue.com;
               option host-name "joe";
             }

Thus it looks like you would have to configure the dhcp server to use the
client machines hardware ethernet address, which is a little more involved
than a simpler configuration where a block of addresses is specified in
the configuration file to be assigned without discrimination.