[lug] Upgrading AMD *

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Thu Mar 8 14:26:26 MST 2001

Thanks for the reply Doug...

> The answer, of course, depends on what you want to do.

The deciding factor was VMware.

The most intensive would be POV-ray 3D rendering, I've been doing that on
the iMac and plan to move it over very soon. I am ok with letting the
finals render over night.

Coding (mostly scripting for the Web), GIMP, Browsing, Audio, and I wanna
put Video on here but I may be on another machine by the time I get around
to it.

> K7 processors come in two flavors, the slot A Athlons and the new
> socket A Duron/Thunderbird. If you stick with your old motherboard,
> then you are limited to the Socket 7 processors, K6-2 and K6-3.

Ok so I can go to the K6-3. So based on the above would you recommend one
over the other?

> The K6-3+ is a "mobile" processor, it runs are reduced power levels,
> supported by a core voltage of 2.0v or less. The regular K6-3 will
> have a core voltage above 2.0v, probably 2.2v. I just installed a
> K6-2 550Mhz processor with a core voltage of 2.2v.
>
> Check you motherboard to see what core voltages it supports.
>
> It would help to know what motherboard you have.

Umm, well. I don't know for sure but.... it's an HP4440 stock and says
SPAX-M Rev 1.01. I tried to save some time and check Pricewatch for an SPAX
category but there wasn't one . It's the only possible identifier I can
find. Why do i have a feeling i'm gonna be laughing at myself over this one
:}

Thanks again,

John