[lug] email list archiver thingy

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Fri Mar 16 09:28:02 MST 2001

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Andrew Diederich wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to dump the email lists I'm on into a web-searchable
> database.  I'm sure such things exist, but I seem to have a hard time
> searching through freshmeat.
>
> Using more words, I'd like to be able to store lists I subscribe to
> (security stuff, admin stuff, BLUG, etc) into a central repository, throw a
> searchable web front end on it, and let other folks in my group use it.  Has
> anyone run across something like this they like?

The BLUG stuff is already web searchable
<http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/>.  That could satisfy at least part of
your goal.  The Procmail filter combined with Mhonarc is a reasonable
suggestion.  Use the mail filter to create a directory of filtered mail,
and use Mhonarc to convert the mail to a threaded web interface.  To
finish this off I'd suggest taking a look at Htdig.  That would give you
the searchable web front-end and wouldn't require the archives to be
located specifically on your machine, nor would these data be required to
explicitely be e-mail.  Htdig is a web robot, that you provide a list of
URL's to search and index.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)