[lug] Interesting Crash Report

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Wed Mar 21 16:53:05 MST 2001

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 04:37:49PM -0700, D. Stimits wrote:
[..]

> Maybe the newspaper would be a better place to publish, if ident
> confirms things. It isn't slander if you can prove it.

Tempting. But i guess than they could sue you for spreading
bad new about them, and then you'd have to prove (in court)
that it was them. Knowing how easy it is to fake electronic
evidence this might be a hard task -- and unfortunately a
very time and resource consuming one. I do see the danger
here: by not reacting apropriately i might encourage script
kiddies (hey, if nobody complains it can't be that bad..).
I do send out some mail (usually to the intruders provider)
but so far the reactions haven't been to overwelming.
Most american ISPs don't even answer my mails unless i use
an '.com' email account. I've had a lot of attacks from
former Yugoslavia lately, but i guess locals have other things
to worry about there then net abuse. I think i got used to
the constant attacks (it keeps me alert i guess) but i find
it sad to see that it causes trouble for people who put a lot
of their private time into introducing Linux to their work
environment or into schools. But i guess social/political
awareness isn't a haCkeZ viRtuE ...

 Ralf