[lug] Re: recycling code [WAS Fwd: NICHOLAS PETRELEY: "The Open Source" ]

lpotter ljp at llornkcor.com
Wed Mar 21 22:06:42 MST 2001

>I can look at the code for one of these, rip out the IMAP stuff, and have a
>patch slapped together for Kmail in probably a couple of hours.  I'll have a

Then by all means, do. I'd like to see someone patch IMAP into kmail in a
couple hours work.
You must be code god or something.

>Or, to shorten this rant:  Good grief!  We're writing code that we're making
>pretty much public for reuse, people!  Start recycling your code instead of
>wasting time building it from scratch for the 20th time!  If you see a cool
>feature in Balsa that you want in Kmail, USE THE CODE!  If you want to write
>better functionality for your Palm under Mac, and you can write the code for
>it, browse the source of Jpilot!

  dont know about other developers, but I use snippets of others code in my
apps. But mostly look to their code, to learn from, that way, I dont have
to include their copyrighted code, and include their copyright, in my
project. Its all for the glory, man.
Still, people have different views of how the program should look, and act,
and how the code should be layed out. You want to look at a patched
together mess, look at the code for kdevelop. Ughh, great program, but I
would HATE to hack on it.

ljp