[lug] Re: recycling code [WAS Fwd: NICHOLAS PETRELEY: "The Open Source" ]

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Mar 22 15:37:23 MST 2001

"Holshouser, David" wrote:

> I want to change angle just a tad on this, back toward the entry point.
>
> The biggest thing that gets me, and part of the starting point for this
>
> I would like to extend this to KDE. I personally feel the KDE apps
> are still very immature compared to (I know I may get tracked down
> and physically burnt for this but I must) the MS GUI (not the kernel, not
> necessarily the object model, definitely not the code, just the MS window
> manager) and the apps written for windows.

I think the big reason why MS GUI can be so well developed is related to
the COM model being integrated into almost everything. Gnome tries to do
this to some extent with the ORB, but it takes extra effort to make it
comply, whereas it is just about default when writing apps in windows,
at least for some basics like copy and paste of text. I guess KDE has
some mechanism also, though I'm not sure what it is, that helps apps
communicate with each other; I doubt that is available by default
whenever using Qt widgets. Even in the cases where apps are written that
work with such mechanisms, all kinds of other apps and widget sets have
no support for the gnome ORB or whatever it is KDE uses for aid of
interapplication communications. Unfortunately on the MS side, I
consider COM to be a good idea but poorly implemented, causing security
and other weaknesses (often resulting in the famous blue screen of
death). Now if someone were to take the more popular widget sets, and
create a common mechanism to deal with interapplication communications
*by default*, things would change quickly. And by interapplication
communications, I don't mean pipes, message queues, semaphores, sockets,
or any API that requires significant work to other applications, but
instead something that the underlying broker understands and is able to
convert without applications themselves having knowledge...it would be
part of the widget set itself. COM tends to do this well (although it
breaks too often for me).