[lug] problems manually configuring IP...

celttechie (Brian Jarrett) celttechie at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 13:16:20 MDT 2001

> This probably won't fix the problem, but you might want to change your
> mask to 255.0.0.0 for that network range.

I am actually subnetting on purpose but I suppose I could give it a try.  I
didn't think to ping localhost, but since you mentioned it I did give it a
try and it works fine.

> Check /var/log/messages, as well as dmesg. It isn't unusual for someone
> to compile a kernel and not use all the modules they used before, and
> leave the old modules still there, which would make trying to load them
> fail. Then there is /etc/conf.modules (sometimes named modules.conf),
> which if it describes loading of modules that are no longer used, can
> still try to load them. It would all depend, but if ping works to
> localhost, unlikely it is a cause of failure elsewhere.

I had already looked at /var/log/messages and I couldn't find anything about
the depmod errors, so I thought it would be somewhere else.  dmesg doesn't
show anything on it either.  The only messages I see regarding eth0 at all
have to do with it going in and out of promiscuous mode probably because of
arpwatch.

I also noticed on my ifconfig listing that it is incrementing packets
transmitted, but doesn't have any packets received.  So now I've done a
packet capture and all I see are ARP requests coming from the machine.  I'm
going to try removing arpwatch from the startup to see if that makes a
difference.

Brian