[lug] rmmod -a in cron

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Apr 19 00:52:43 MDT 2001

Nate Duehr wrote:

> So...
>
> I'm wondering why a kernel RPM upgrade on an older RedHat machine (6.1)
> put a crontab in that does an rmmod -a every so often?
>
> Is there a "this is the right thing to do" kind of explanation for it?

With the -a option it should remove modules it believes are
autocleanable. How it knows which ones are or are not I don't know, it
seems to have the particular audio module improperly marked.

But the idea is that some modules are available on demand by something
like a kernel daemon or other autoloader. If it was truly autoloadable,
it would only unload when nothing is using it; and if it was unloaded
and something requested it, it would load itself. In between it would
save on memory.

I have always been curious as to how a module is marked as autoloadable,
allowing it to be loaded on demand, since my kernels have all had this
support, but a few modules are annoying enough that it fails. It'd be a
worthy topic of one of the meetings, perhaps a 10 minute thing on "all
about loadable module maintenance".

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com