[lug] Linux as a router for 2 DSL lines.

Brad Doctor bdoctor at ps-ax.com
Fri May 4 21:50:53 MDT 2001

One option that may work is to use IPtables via kernel 2.4.x.  Here is a
potential set up:

NIC-1 has 10.1.100.x (DSL1)
NIC-2 has 10.2.100.x (DSL2)
NIC-3 has 192.168.0.x (Internal)

With IPtables, it is possible to use a pool of addresses for outbound
connections, in conjunction with SNAT, and specify what ranges you wish to
use (one or the other of the NIC-[1,2] addresses).  Since each device has
it's own route to it's own DSL modem, this may work.

Actually, if memory serves, I believe you can force the Cisco 675 devices
to not do DHCP on the internal side, and configure what network they are to
use, so indeed, I think this would work :)

What this will then do is switch what IP is used for every unique TCP/IP
session, and it works incredibly well.  Outbound load balancing, essentially.

http://netfilter.kernelnotes.org is the home for IPtables, although it is
down for me at the moment (unrelated to anything mentioned here, heh).

Have fun!
-brad