[lug] LaTeX and distilling to PDF

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Fri May 18 15:43:59 MDT 2001

I hadn't followed this thread earlier since I don't know much about
Latex to begin with.  But I recently figured out that it works really
well to print just about anything to a postscript file and then convert
that to a pdf file using ps2pdf.  The only problem are landscape
documents, which print 90 degrees rotated.  Those pdf files can be
rotated using pdfrotate, a nifty perl script.

Please forgive me if this message completely missed the point.

Ferdinand

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> OK, I know have a method that looks like it works.
>
>    1. Use the newer updated LaTeX2e graphics bundle (graphic or
>       graphicx) instead of the older psfig or epsfig packages.  This
>       allows you to embed more kinds of graphic formats in a LaTeX
>       document.  In this case, the use of pdf graphics is important.
>
>    2. Convert EPS graphics to pdf graphics.  There is a nice little
>       command called epstopdf that does this.  One simply types:
>
>          epstopdf image.eps
>
>       and it does its thing resulting in a new image.pdf file.
>
>    3. Process the LaTeX files directly to pdf using the pdfelatex command:
>
>          pdfelatex document.tex
>
> The resulting document.pdf file looks nice in my acrobat reader.  I'd show
> you all, but since this hasn't gone through our editorial review process
> that wouldn't be a good idea.  I might be able to provide a non-work
> related demo though ...
>
> Anyway this works for now, and I have some stuff to figure out so that I
> can make dvips use Type 1 rather than Type 3 postscript.  If I can do that
> then the image conversion step could be skipped.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> - Wayde
>   (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

Ferdinand Schmid