[lug] email technical info

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue May 22 10:13:12 MDT 2001

I recently sent some email that bounced due to temporary route failure,
but I noticed something that I wanted to find out "why" it says it, in
the bounce message:
from idcomm.com (IDENT:stimits at k56-pip66.idcomm.com [209.60.72.193] (may
be forged))

This is of course a dynamic IP on a dial-up connection, and I have auth
port 113 running, what I'm wondering is why the "may be forged" is
shown? Is this just a statement that the particular address *can* be
forged? Or is it a statement that it lacked something to decide it was
authentic? What does that message actually mean? DNS does have reverse
lookup of that IP.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com