[lug] Death on monitor wake?

Ken Kinder ken at kenkinder.com
Sat Jun 9 19:30:14 MDT 2001

A buddy of mine asked me for advice about his system seemingly hanging when
he restores it from an idle mode. He's got a Red Hat 7.1 system and uses DPMS
to shut down his monitor after a few minutes of inactivity. He set this all
up KDE and for the most part, he's pleased with the power saving but
something is going wrong.

Anyway, it seems that every once in a while, it doesn't revive. He'll move
the mouse, hear the monitor click a little, but never come fully alive.
Turning on and off the monitor doesn't seem to help, but resetting the system
does. The odd thing is, he can't do ctrl+alt+backspace for force X to quit,
so I'm assuming the problem is in X hanging somewhere.

It may not be the monitor -- maybe something else having to do with DPMS
hangs? I'm not sure what it could be.

Any thoughts on that? This is BTW a desktop machine, not a notebook.

--
Ken Kinder