[lug] strange name resolving/ftp

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Mon Jun 11 03:52:39 MDT 2001

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 03:43:09PM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:

[...]
> Ok, one more clue. If I run the "/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart", I
> find that /var/log/messages mentions this:
> ifup: SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

Ah, _Network_ is unreachable? This sounds like a wrongly set route/gateway ...

> Now, this could just be a reflection of what I am experiencing, and not
> a real clue as to cause, but the particular signal SIOCADDRT might
> narrow the cause down some (unfortunately there does not seem to be a
> man page to "ifup", which I presume is being script wrapped in the
> network restart script). i

What distro are you running? My (Debain) system has a manpage for ifup(8).

 SYNOPSIS
       ifup  [-sinv] [--scheme=scheme] [--interfaces=file] [--no-
       act] [--verbose] [-a|ifaces]

       ifdown   [-sinv]   [--scheme=scheme]   [--interfaces=file]
       [--no-act] [--verbose] [-a|ifaces]

 DESCRIPTION
       The ifup and ifdown commands man be used to configure (or,
       respectively, deconfigure) network  interfaces,  based  on
       descriptions  of  the  interfaces  entered  into  the file
       /etc/network/interfaces.

I  think you should have a look at /etc/network/interfaces (and there
should be a man page  interfaces(5)). The above mentioned error often
shows up if one sets a gateway/route that's not yet up -- usually if
you start your LAN interface and give it a default gateway on the WAN
while this isn't yet up.

> But all interfaces are pingable by any name or
> dotted-decimal format; it is access through ftp where it is bizarre (my
> wu-ftp on this machine is set to allow without reverse name lookup, and
> the host trying to access it is itself, not another host, so it is just
> puzzling why I can use either 127.0.0.1 or localhost, but not both).

Strange. Hmm, is this some spoof protection firewall rule? I recall having
problems with that on older Debian boxes.

 Ralf