[lug] sound & modem irq??

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jun 20 17:56:43 MDT 2001

Jason Davis wrote:

> i have my sound card working now....i had to turn the plug and pray bios
> off(duh!!!) then just insmod cs4281..but when i restart computer i have to
> insmod again. is ther a way to make cs4281 a permanet module??
>                                            jd   jd_480 at hotmail.com

If core sound support is as a module, then the sound module can have a
"probeall" or "pre-install" line naming the relevant modules in
/etc/modules.conf for the char-major-## device number (possibly an alias
too). If support for the char-major number is non-modular, then the
specific devices loaded under that major number can't be autoloaded by
any kernel style module loader. In that case you'd add the insmod line
to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. I don't know off hand which major
number is associated with generic sound support, but it must be a
character device (I recently ran into the same problem for joystick
module loading, and recompiled the kernel to make generic support for
that type of interface as a module, now I can get the kernel module
autoloading to work).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com