[lug] Linux and ATT at Home

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Thu Jun 21 11:40:50 MDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 11:27:04AM -0600, Holshouser, David wrote:

> once you have an ip, it holds for a LONG time (my understanding was that
> your MAC gets inserted into a table and you retain your ip forever, others

Until @Home changes the IP address range - like they did in Lakewood a few months ago.

OTOH, they haven't changed my brother's IP address (in Arvada) since I set his computer up about 9 months ago.

Their IP address table appears to be hostname-based, BTW - my brother's system didn't change addresses after I changed NICs (from Netgear to SMC (crappy RTL8139 chipset) to 3Com).

> other method (I haven't done this, call me lazy):
> install dhcpcd, it is known to work with @home

And UNINSTALL pump if it's present - RH's script tries pump BEFORE it tries dhcpcd.

> make sure to include the hostname they gave you in the dhcpcd command line
> (paraphrased, not syntactically correct)
> dhcpcd -h "c123456-a"

For a Red Hat installationi you don't need to do that last bit - it's done automatically by "ifup" if the appropriate "ifcfg-ethx" file is set up.

For example - here's "ifcfg-eth1" from Mom's system

DEVICE="eth1"
ONBOOT="yes"
DHCP_HOSTNAME="namechangedtoprotectMom"
PEERDNS="no"
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"

In this case dhcpcd would call @Home on bootup, and present the name "namechangedtoprotectMom" to @Home's DHCP server.

It's "eth1" because "eth0" faces "inward" - to the local network (the Linux box is doing IP masquerading for Mom's home network).

Peerdns is set to "no" because I want the Linux box to do its own name lookups - if you set it to "yes", then your system will get DNS server information from @Home.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge